Friday, May 15, 2009

ERP 1 (Qn 1B)

My grandfather was a voracious reader of the Chinese newspaper, reading up on what is happening on the other side of the globe. It was his habit of reading newspaper while sitting beside the green mahjong table, filled with stacks of newspaper and a cup of black coffee. It was because of this reading improved his “debates” with my father, on topics of governance to HDB flats in Singapore. I never once tried interrupting them and joining in the talk, as I was more “English” compared to my 70 year old grandfather. Furthermore, he could not understand English that we speak of in this modernized world of short forms and slangs.
When I was younger, with the Chinese influence by my grandfather, I always listened to the stories of the Japanese Occupation from his accounts, saying that the very first batch of Japanese was utterly ruthless, killing anyone who breaks the law or disrespect them. The subsequent batch of Japanese was much merciful and they treat some of the citizen well. He was one of the “lucky” citizens who escaped the bombings, Sook-ching and even managed to get married and give birth to my mom, her sister and 4 brothers. He provided the Japanese cigarettes made from stubs picked up from used cigarettes and wrapped it with tobacco and paper. It looked brand new, he told me. It was this reciprocity that saved his life and his families’. But even with this “security” backing, food was still a problem and he unwillingly let his son be adopted by another family, who did not have any children. Even till today, he still regretted that choice that he had made in that times of desperation.
But as I grew older, the bond between us was weakening with electronic advancements. Computers and online games had come between us; my grandfather was stuck in his Chinese operas and oldies from cassettes while I was sticking with the latest music, just a button away. Even his advice and concerns became nags for me, which I always walked off or play music into my headset just to avoid the nags. Whatever he said, I will just take it with a pinch of salt. I would rather read my Straits Times than his Lian He Zao Bao. My grandfather was ousted from my “English” lifestyle.
I soon realize that he was separated from me by that language barrier, not talking to me in dialects and talking to me with little words of Chinese as he knew I can’t speak as well. My “society” had no place for him and he soon stopped talking to me about his life, his experiences, his story. My world had been divided from his, but deep down, we both want to strengthen our dwindling bonds and remember each other for the precious memories we had even if age differences seperates us……
I finally stood up from the computer chair, away from my technology and walked towards the debates, prepared to talk in Chinese, our common language.

No comments: